11.08.2012

Pumpkin Brain




Though the stores are filled with tinsel and lights I still have pumpkins on the brain. The above image is of a few I painted  last month and I can't seem to stop. I have been waiting all summer to make this soup and thought I would share the recipe with you all.  I made it for a dinner I hosted a month ago (tripling the recipe) and had many requests for it. I first found it on allrecipe.com and altered it as I went along. Enjoy!

4 T butter

1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
1 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
32 oz chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Before I begin anything I put the squash in the oven on a low temp to heat. This makes it so much easier to peal and cut up. Then I go to work chopping up the celery, potato and carrot. It doesn't have to be pretty because it is all getting blended in the end. Now prep and cut up your squash. Melt butter in pot and toss in all your handy work to brown for about 5 minutes. Pour in enough broth to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until veg is tender. Transfer to a blender to puree or use a hand blender in the pot. add salt and pepper. 
I usually double this but if you have never done a soup like this before just make a single batch up to try it. It freezes quite well and for added richness I like a dollop of sour cream on top. Serve with a white wine and a hardy bread. Afterwords curl up on the couch with a good movie and warm blanket.  Well, at least those are my plans tonight.

Happy Autumn and Warm Tummies to you all,
Elizabeth



No comments:

Post a Comment